The Monthly Scoop:
Thank you for being flexible last week with the snow forecast. We were sad to cancel Philippe Saad, and are working to reschedule as soon as we can. Also, our next meeting is in February, not March! Sorry for any confusion.
For Our February Meeting:
- February Speaker
- We look forward to welcoming Ginny Mazur and Ruthann Dobek to our next meeting on Wednesday, February 21st.
- Membership Dues:
- It’s time for yearly membership dues. You can now conveniently pay online! Annual membership dues are $30 for professionals and $20 for students.
- What is it like to live with dementia? Read about The Virtual Dementia Tour and its impact in this Washington Post article.
- Learn how restaurants and their regular older adult customers look out and care for one another. Consider, how might we further this sense of community?
- From both a financial perspective and a mental health standpoint, home sharing, co-housing, and living in community can improve quality of life. Learn more here.
- Did you know President Trump is reducing fines for nursing homes? Click here to learn more.
- The focus on child care may conceal a bigger barrier to female participation in the labor force: tending to the growing ranks of aging family members. Read more here.
- What is the difference between home health care and home care? Click here to find out.
- Learn about the Museum of Modern Art’s (MoMA) new collection: a celebration of art made by older artists.
- What role can pets and other animals play in the life of older adults? How do you decide if the pet of someone living with dementia can be kept?
- This New York Times opinion piece highlights what it’s like to be an older adult who utilizes a wheelchair: invisible.
- Check out this trailer for a new documentary on finding love through speed dating, at 70+.
- A number of local nursing homes and an Assisted Living Facility are closing by March of this year. Watch this news clip to learn more.
- Watch how Olin College of Engineering students gain empathy, develop a relationship, and design a product for an older adult living in the community.
- Check out Open Style Lab, an organization working to make accessible and stylish clothing for people with disabilities.
- Listen to this TED Talk by Marc Freedman, founder and CEO of encore.org. Marc talks about the important role older adults can play in the lives of children.
- Watch this video about a new program in Hawaii meant to lessen the burden on family caregivers. Read the accompanying article to learn about two other proposed programs in Maine and Washington.
We look forward to seeing many of you in February!
~Ilana Klarman and the Boston Bridge Board