The Monthly Scoop:
A big thank you to Jesse Ohrenberger for introducing us to the art of negotiating and teaching us how to get better at advocating for ourselves.
Boston Bridge Announcements:
- Our next meeting will be on September 12th, 2018. Please note, this is the second Wednesday of September. The speaker will be announced closer to September.
Articles & Mixed Media
- Approximately 65,000 LGBTQ older adults live in Massachusetts. Read about the anxieties they may have and the concerns many face as they age and need more support.
- Learn about Project Q, an up-and-coming project working to create a home and community in central Boston with a focus on the LGBT community.
- Did you know that one in four millennials is a caregiver for an older relative? Learn about the new Carry the Conversation campaign launched by LeadingAge to bring awareness to this issue.
- Read how older adults have been working together to raise awareness of children separated from their families at the border.
- Learn about geroscience: a new field focused on slowing the process of aging.
- Are there genes that control aging? Could we extend the human “youthspan”? Watch Cynthia Kenyon’s TED Talk to find out.
- Aging in place for many older homeowners in Massachusetts is not a choice so much as a necessity. Learn why downsizing may not be an option.
- Foster homes for older adults? Learn about an innovative and cost-effective program developed by the VA: “Where Heroes Meet Angels“.
- Over a third of older adults in the United States over 65 own a gun. How do you safely plan for older adults with dementia who own firearms?
- What does it mean to be middle aged? Does the term need a facelift? Read more here.
We hope you have a great summer and look forward to seeing many of you in September!
~Ilana Klarman, Boston Bridge Board Member