The Monthly Scoop:
Thank you to architect Philippe Saad and interior designer Cassandra Michaud from DiMella Shaffer for speaking with us about challenges and innovations in designing housing for our aging population, both now and in the future.
For Our June Members Only Meeting:
- June Speaker
- We look forward to welcoming Jesse Ohrenberger, Associate Director of Counseling & Programs at Boston University, to our members only meeting on Wednesday, June 20th.
- Membership Dues:
- If you’d like to attend the June meeting, it’s not too late! Just be sure to pay your yearly membership dues before the June 20th meeting. You can now pay online. Annual membership dues are $30 for professionals and $20 for students.
Articles & Mixed Media
- Check out the organization Cycling without Age, with chapters all around the world supporting multigenerational connections by combining storytelling and rickshaws.
- Did you know Boston is one of the few cities where Google Maps is testing out its new “Wheelchair Accessible” route option? Watch this video to learn more.
- In case you haven’t heard, May is Older Americans Month! This year’s theme is “Engage at Every Age”.
- Shin-tomi nursing home in Tokyo utilizes 20 different robots to help support residents in their care. Watch this video for a glimpse of the robots in action.
- How do you talk about your values and preferences? How do you discover your end of life wishes? Read about an approach taken by older adults in Cambridge, MA.
- On a related note, be sure to mark your calendars for June 6th: “What matters to you?” day.
- David Goodall was 104. He had fought to legalize assisted dying. Watch this video to learn about his final campaign.
- Did you know older adults often hold ageist attitudes about their own age group? They may even hold ageist attitudes towards themselves. Learn about the impact this has.
- The number of older adults returning to the working world after having retired is on the rise. Find out the main reasons for “unretirement“.
- What is it like to need help when you are used to being independent? Listen to Beverly Engleman share her personal story with humor and insight on The Moth.
- Meet Mark Sertich, the oldest ice hockey player in the world.
We look forward to seeing many of you in June!
~Ilana Klarman, Boston Bridge Board Member